Where Romance and History Meet - www.heartsthroughhistory.com/

Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Hooray, hooray, it's the first of May...

Are you one of those author types who will get up this morning and check all your promo loops to see where you can pimp your book? Or are you on that fancy promo loop that reminds you daily where you can pimp your book, how often, and what the rules are?

I’m that person. Or at least I used to be, but I’m starting to wonder about all those yahoo groups. I’m on a few…ok…57. *blush* But in the past few weeks I have started going no mail on a lot of them. A girl’s got to wonder how many books are you really selling to other authors? This whole promo thing has me mind-boggled. Speaking to other authors, how many books do you read a month? I wish I could give you a number that was double-digits, but I’m lucky to read one book a month.

So who is on all these promo loops and blogs? Is it other authors (who may or may not be buying books) or is it truly the beloved readers? I know what you’re going to say “Writers are readers, too”. Aren’t you just a little curious as to how many of those 2,464 members on Romance Junkies Readers are really readers and how many are writers?

So what’s your opinion? Are we all just a group of writers pimping our books to each other and no one is really buying?

Here is a list of “some” of the groups I belong too.
CataNetwork-Authors
CataNetwork-Readers
CataNetwork-Writers
Chatting_with_Joyfully_Revi...
cupidslibraryreviews
dangerouswomen
heathersromancebookclub
HHRWGen
HRCRomance
karenfindoutaboutnewbooks
LoversofRomance
novelsisterhood
PromoOnly
Promotion_Loop_Schedule
RomanceCafe
romancedivas
romanceexcerptsonly
RomanceJunkiesReaders
romancingthepast
RosesColoredGlasses
RWRpirates
SeducedByHistory
The_Haunt_at_PNR
theromanceroom
welcometotemptation
writerspromotips

Thanks for reading!
Kim

____________________________________________________
Kimberly Killion
HER ONE DESIRE ~
RITA Finalist - Best First Book
National Readers Choice Awards Finalist - Historical Category
HIGHLAND DRAGON ~ October 2009/Zebra Books
http://www.kimberlykillion.com/

2 comments:

Eliza Knight said...

I often wonder the same thing myself.

We are definitely readers, true, and I do read and buy a lot of books.

I also belong to a lot of loops...I don't know how many, I'm afraid to count.

Evangeline Holland said...

I wonder about this as well, but since I'm not published, I haven't dealt with the whole dilemma. But I will say that as a writing reader, I am skeptical of all the promo at authors. It's one of the reasons why I can grow annoyed with RWR. Yes, we all read, and there are thousands of members of the RWA who are ample promo targets, but isn't there a time when it's all just preaching to the choir? Particularly when the multitude of reader blogs and review sites are providing the same information as author listservs. There's also the whole piggy-back thing where a bunch of people join a list to win a prize, and then unsub when they don't win. That isn't attracting readers, it's just attracting people who like to win things. I think promotion should be measured and strategic, and I'm certain that many other writers are going on no mail because the promo is too much.