Where Romance and History Meet - www.heartsthroughhistory.com/

Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Little Inspiration, Please!

Every writer has days when the words aren’t flowing, the scenes aren’t unfolding as they should, and you’re sitting staring at a blank computer screen. Those are the times when you just want to say “Forget it!” “I’m going to start something new,” and sometimes even “Why did I think I wanted to be a writer anyway?”

Well, on those days, I look to others for a little inspiration and encouragement. Here are some of my favorite quotations for when I just need a little inspiration:

“I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are.”

~ Milton Berle

“One of the easiest things in the world is not to write... If it were easy, everyone would do it.”

~ William Goldman

“I am always interested in why young people become writers, and from talking with many I have concluded that most do not want to be writers working eight and ten hours a day and accomplishing little; they want to have been writers, garnering the rewards of having completed a best-seller. They aspire to the rewards of writing but not to the travail.”

~ James A. Michener

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
~Aristotle

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

"Far away in the sunshine are my highest inspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead."
~
Louisa May Alcott

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.

~Helen Keller

8 comments:

Susan Macatee said...

aGreat quotes, Cynthia! And I agree, it's the act of writing that has to excite you, not the rewards, if any, that come after the fact.

Jennifer Ross said...

Great inspiration, Cynthia. I think I'll print them out and put them on my wall.

Paty Jager said...

Those are good quotes. I tend to dip into research materials to get my juices flowing again when I feel myself stuck.

Kathryn Albright said...

Hi Cynthia,
Enjoyed your post. I too, love quotes and find so much inspiration in them. Thanks for sharing some of your favorite ones. There are a few I haven't seen before and am glad to now add to my list!

Cynthia Owens said...

Susan, Jennifer, Paty and Kathryn, Thanks for stopping by, and glad you enjoyed the quotes. Susan, you're right about the actual writing that's the thrill. And I think, for us romance writers, it's a little like falling in love every time we "meet" a new hero! Jenn, printing out the quotes is a great idea - all you need do is glance up at them if you get stuck. Paty, I sometimes go to research material, too, or just read over other parts of the ms. And Kathryn, glad you found some new inspiration!

Julie Robinson said...

I needed that encouragement, Cynthia!
Julie

Julie Robinson said...

These quote make me realize that I need to be more persistent, instead of giving up and moving on.
Julie

Cynthia Owens said...

Hi Julie, isn't it amazing what a few words of encouragement can do? Glad they inspired you!