Where Romance and History Meet - www.heartsthroughhistory.com/

Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gene Autry's Cowboy Code

I received a brochure in the mail the other day promoting the Cowboys and Indians magazine. Inside they had Gene Autry's Cowboy Code and it is pretty darn close to the original cowboy code only modernized.

Gene created this code in response to young radio listeners who wished to be like him.


1. The cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
10. The cowboy is a patriot.

Could you imagine what a kinder and gentler world this would be if everyone were taught these standards?

Paty Jager
www.patyjager.net
www.patyjager.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Kathy Otten said...

Hi Paty,
I've read this list somewhere before. I used to have a story book when I was a kid about an adventure with Gene Autry and Champion.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Amen! I am so tired of all the selfish, hurtful way our society has grown. Have you noticed how so many more humiliate in the name of a joke or disregard how their words hurt others? Okay, I am old and remember when my parents told me to do onto others.... It makes me sad the list you gave us today isn't followed closer. What happened to honor???

Gee, can you tell you hit a pet peeve of mine? Thanks Paty. :)

Caroline Clemmons said...

Sounds like my hero code for now, right?

Paty Jager said...

Hey Kathy!! Probably in the magazine I got it from. LOL Thanks for stopping in.

Paisley, I agree. There isn't the same respect these days.

Caroline, yes these pretty much sum up my heroes codes too.

D'Ann said...

Love, love, love this list. I want to print it out and hand it out to people at my job.