Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Gene Autry's Cowboy Code
Gene created this code in response to young radio listeners who wished to be like him.
1. The cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
10. The cowboy is a patriot.
Could you imagine what a kinder and gentler world this would be if everyone were taught these standards?